Top 5 Essential Oils to Relieve Depression…
Depression is not something most people talk about. You may be all smiles on the outside, but on the inside, you feel like no one cares.
Depression often manifests itself into other symptoms of fatigue, moodiness, low sex drive, loss of appetite, and becoming less social.
Maybe you’re one of the millions of Americans taking an antidepressant drug. But with these drugs, come a whole host of side effects. Sometimes these side effects are worse than the depression itself.
I don’t want you to feel like medication is your only hope. There are many natural treatments to help combat symptoms of depression. Many of which have little to no side effects.
I have a love for essential oils that goes back many years. One of the greatest benefits I’ve experienced myself, is through mood elevation. I use several different oils daily, but I never leave the house without 2-3 of my favorites.
Everyone needs a little extra help to get through a stressful day.
What are Essential Oils?
Let’s take a step back and talk about essential oils. Essential oils are natural aromatic compounds found in the bark, seeds, stems, roots, flowers and other parts of a plant or tree.
I know you’ve probably smelled the wonderful fragrance from a rose bush or maybe you had the opportunity to walk through a lavender field. Well then, you’ve experienced essential oils first hand.
Essential oils exhibit powerful emotional responses, by uplifting your mood or even calming your emotions.
Essential Oils to Relieve Depression
Smells can exhibit the most basic responses to our emotions. Certain scents may trigger memories of childhood, a favorite food, or a romantic relationship.
This direct response on memory and emotions is why essential oils are so powerful in the treatment of depression and anxiety.
Here are my Top 5 Essential Oils to Relieve Depression
- Citrus essential oils– Citrus oils include wild orange, lemon, lime, bergamot and grapefruit. These oils are very powerful creating a feeling of joy and happiness. I apply a drop in my hand and breath in anytime I am feeling the least bit anxious or need to feel uplifted.
- Ylang Ylang essential oil– This oil has amazing benefits when it comes to depression and releasing negative emotions. Ylang Ylang provides a mild sedative affect to the body and mind helping you feel calm and improving your response to stress.
- Lavender essential oil- Lavender is a very versatile oil and one of the most popular and widely used essential oils. Lavender has shown great benefits in people who have insomnia and trouble sleeping. Many studies have shown when used daily, lavender can improve sleep, moodiness and create and feeling of rest and calm. Keep a bottle of lavender tucked away in your purse. If you’re feeling anxious or nervous, rub a little on your wrists and sniff away.
- Chamomile essential oil- Chamomile has a very calming and relaxing aroma. It’s been used to help relieve symptoms of anxiety and depression. Chamomile is very popular for helping to relieve these symptoms and one of the reasons you find it in so many bath salts, candles and lotions. At times, just inhaling the soothing scent of chamomile is all it takes to help calm the mind.
- Basil essential oil- The health benefits of basil are many, but it’s also used to treat stress disorders like, nervousness, fatigue, migraines and depression. This powerful oil has the ability to ease mental and emotional tension. Just by smelling this aromatic oil, causes an inner feeling of positivity and increased energy.
I myself, have been a user of essential oils for a very long time. I’ve come to realize that treating medical issues naturally is a much better approach and I strive to share that belief with other women.
Above, are my top 5 essential oils to relieve depression I feel very comfortable recommending.
That being said, there are only a handful of brands I feel confident recommending to clients, family and friends.
Always make sure you do your research. You’re oils should only be 100% organic therapeutic grade if you want to get the true medical benefit from them.
Many oils will say 100% Pure. This is NOT the same thing as organic!
If you would like to know what oils I feel confident using for myself and my family, feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
I’d love to share them with you.
As always, check with your doctor before starting any new health regimen. If you are pregnant or breast feeding, be sure to consult with your physician first before using any essential oils.
Essential oils are not a cure all, but with regular use, they have the ability to promote inner and outer peace and calming.
Live happy, live healthy!